Poptastic Confessions

Poptastic Confessions

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Thank you, Martin Rushent ... rest in peace.


I just found out that record-producer Martin Rushent died on June 4, 2011. I'm not sure why it took me 18 days to hear the news, but it did. And I am sad.

Martin was probably best known for his work with The Human League on their famous 1981 album Dare! He produced such hits for them as "Don't You Want Me" and "(Keep Feeling) Fascination." He also produced The Go-Go's 1984 album Talk Show.

I didn't really know that much about him, beyond that. However, in 2010 Martin produced the second album from one of my favourite groups, The Pipettes. The album is titled Earth vs. The Pipettes and it is amazing. Well, at the end of the year, I posted on Facebook my Top 20 Favourite Songs of 2010. The Pipettes' song "Call Me" came in at #3 and "Stop The Music" at #10. I posted this on The Pipettes' Facebook page, too. Later that day, I got a friend request from Martin.

I was over the moon! I accepted his friend request and told him it was an honor. We chatted a few times briefly. I saw The Pipettes live in San Francisco in May and I wrote to Martin and told him how good the new songs sounded live. I remember he told me that he liked the pictures I posted of meeting The Pipettes.

The Pipettes have said on their website that "Thank You" was Martin's favourite track of theirs, as it is one of my favourites, too. It is that track that I will post here. Thank you, Martin for help making the music part of the soundtrack to our lives.

If you are interested in hearing Martin's last work. You can download Earth vs. The Pipettes on iTunes.



No comments:

Post a Comment