Poptastic Confessions

Poptastic Confessions

Monday, June 2, 2014

Paradise Preview by Jody Watley

Dear Poptastic Readers,

Last week, we saw Jody Watley in concert for the second time. We also saw her in concert last year. Both shows were amazing, but this one was extra special as Jody was debuting some songs from her upcoming Paradise EP. And for the show at Yoshi's in Oakland, they were offering "Meet-and-Greet" tickets!


Photo from JodyWatley.net. Photo by Albert Sanchez. 
Make up by Billy B. Design by Ray Easman.

I called to get the tickets for me, my husband Arturo, and our best friend Janice. Only one meet-and-greet ticket was left. "I'll take it!" I told the nice woman on the phone. Arturo and Janice will understand, and they did.

The night before the show, I got out all of my Jody Watley vinyl and CD collection. I wondered what item I would take to have Jody sign. Arturo said to bring them all! I laughed.



The show started at 8 p.m., but the Meet and Greet started at 7 p.m. Outside the box office, I bought the 12" single of "Nightlife" and a promo photo. I decided I would have Jody sign the promo photo and not my vinyl, but Arturo, who had brought all my records, had me take one record in, just in case!



I got in line and stood next to some fans named Charles and David, who had sat near us at dinner. When I got up to meet Jody, and I said, "Hello Jody, I'm ..." Before I could even say "Davearama from Poptastic Confessions," Jody said, "Dave Higdon!" WOW!


Davearama meets Jody Watley!

Jody thanked me for my promotion of "Nightlife" on my blog. We hugged and I gave her gifts of CDs from Glass Slipper (who met because of Poptastic Confessions) and Annikafiore (a favourite of mine). I told her that they all gave me permission to share their music with her. She signed my promo photo and then we smiled for photos. I was thrilled!



For the show, Arturo, Janice and I were seated at the front of the stage on the right side. We were so excited to have such great seats. And our table was next to Charles and David. Everyone was just so happy.

Jody's performance with her band, backup dancers and singer was fantastic. The show opened with "Nightlife" followed by an equally fabulous new song from her forthcoming EP Paradise called "The Dawn." It had a great vibe like "Nightlife." I can't wait to hear the studio version! Jody told me the song features Levi Seacer on guitar and it is produced by Mark de Clive-Lowe.



A medley followed of Shalamar songs mixed in with some of her solo hits. After that, it was solo hit after hit! The energy of the show was amazing! Even when Jody slowed it down for some of her ballads and down-tempo songs, she captivated the audience. When we weren't dancing in our seats, we were in awe of Miss Watley.



I believe it was during the ballad "Most Of All", which Jody has reworked a bit, that she started calling out some of her friends and colleagues in the audience. And then Jody said something like, "And there's Dave Higdon over here who helped with the promotion of my single 'Nightlife.'" I was completely floored that she would mention little me from the stage. There's something I never imagined would happen back when I was a teenage fan.



Jody debuted another new song from her upcoming Paradise EP. It was called "Sanctuary." It really had summer vibe to it. A mid-tempo groove that Jody said we could play at our barbecues! Indeed, we probably will! It is produced by Soulpersona.

Also during the show, Jody handed out many signed hand fans to the audience. She gave one to our friend Janice, who turned and gave it to me. Janice said, "You are the fan! So you get the fan!" It was very sweet of her.



I went to sleep that night with a big grin on my face. It was truly a night to remember. And Jody Watley is still a thrill. If you ever get the chance to see her concert, don't miss it. Even if you are just a casual fan, you will be so happy that you did. Her band, dancers and backup singer Christina Grady are all amazing.



As you might remember, "Nightlife" was Poptastic Confessions' #1 song of 2013. If you didn't get the feel-good song, please head over to iTunes now and buy it! 



Jody Watley. Amazing artist. Wonderful songwriter. Emotional singer. Friendly with her fans. Class act!

Support Jody by legally downloading her music. Please like Jody's official Facebook pageYou can follow her on TwitterBookmark her official websiteWatch her videos on YouTubeAnd purchase Jody's music on iTunes.

"It's in the music!"

Cheers then,
—Davearama


1 comment:

  1. Love the review .. as a witness to the evening's events, I agree with Davearama ... Ms Watley is still a thrill!!

    ReplyDelete