Poptastic Confessions

Poptastic Confessions

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Jody Watley and Shalamar Reloaded in Concert

Dear Poptastic Readers,

Over the weekend, my husband and I celebrated our birthdays. And we did so by seeing Jody Watley featuring Shalamar in concert. We had seen Jody in concert in the spring of 2013, and in 2014 when I met her and now for a third time. Since the show was actually on my hubby's birthday, he agreed to go if we got a large group of friends to go.




So we made some inquires among our friends and put it out on Facebook that we were going. Pretty soon we had 17 friends confirmed and going to the show. Unfortunately, two friends had to cancel the day before due to illness. 



This time around, Jody is touring with a "reloaded" Shalamar. Now, I became a fan of Jody in 1987 with her debut solo album. It wasn't until much later in life that I bought a "best of" Shalamar CD. And while I know a few songs, it's fair to say I love Jody Watley's music, and I like Shalamar's music.


The reloaded Shalamar (Nate, Jody and Rosero). 

So when it came time for the show, the first half of the show was dedicated to Shalamar with new members Nate Allen Smith and Rosero McCoy. I did enjoy the songs, and it was great to see so many people in the audience react to the songs. And even Jody got a bit emotional singing a song that she had written as a teen in Shalamar. It was all rather exciting. And I've been singing Shalamar songs ever since!




After the Shalamar part of the show was over, the audience was treated to video homage of Jody's solo career. And then Jody came out to play hit after hit! And it was during her monster-hit song "Don't You Want Me" that Jody shouted out "Happy Birthday Dave and Arturo!" And that made our group scream with joy! 


I had to honor to meet Jody last year!

Jody teased us by saying "Nightlife" was coming, but she played the wonderful "Sanctuary" instead. She said she was short on time (there were two shows and we were at the first show) and so she didn't perform "Nightlife." Hopefully the second show got it!




Because both shows sold out, another date has been added for March 21. So if you haven't seen Jody in concert yet, head over to Yoshi's website and get your tickets because that looks to be sold out soon, too.

As a special treat, I thought I'd ask some of our friends who went to the show with us what they thought of the concert ...


**



Arturo B:

When you see Jody Watley in concert, you know she will not disappoint. But when she shouts out your name and wishes you a happy birthday, you know why she is so loved by her fans!

Thank you, Jody … for yet another unforgettable performance and a very special always-to-be-remembered night!



Janice A:
It's always a treat to hear Jody's beautiful voice, to see her gorgeous smile and smooth dance moves, and to feel the emotions her songs convey. She is one of the most ageless and timeless performers I've had the pleasure of seeing. The musicians in her band are amazingly gifted, her dancers are not only talented but very pleasing to the eye, and the small venue at Yoshi's makes me feel like I'm the lucky recipient of my own show! I will continue to go to Jody's performances for as long as she graces us with her presence!

Matthew M:
Jody Watley and Shalamar Reloaded, a wonderful mix of old school disco and fresh pop sounds. Jody's vocals were effortlessly on point, and her back up dancers/vocals don't disappoint! Her aura of love and happiness leave you with a smile on your face and song in your head.

Maisee S:                             
I thought the show was wonderful. I was very impressed! She was entertaining, enlightening and upbeat. And she is still as gorgeous as ever with a voice of gold to boot! I will definitely see her perform again.

Heather M:
I found Jody Watley's and Shalamar's performance very entertaining, especially as I was not familiar of her history as a great performer. She knew how to put on a show and connect with her audience, young, old, long-time fans or those of us seeing her live for the first time. Would recommend seeing her again!

Eric R:
I enjoyed the section with the songs I knew as it took me back to high school.

Jim D:
Jody Watley & Shalamar were awesome! From Jody's amazing voice to her costars and their fantastic dance moves. A great time was had by all! I'm glad I was there.


**


If you are in the Bay Area, get tickets for her March 21 show at Yoshi's! Unfortunately, we won't be able to make it. I'm sure it will be an amazing show!


And now is as good of time as any to buy her music. I would suggest Jody's latest effort Paradise. Click on the name to read my review.




Cheers then,

—Davearama

Please like Jody's official Facebook page.

You can follow her on Twitter.

Bookmark her official website.

Visit her blog!

Watch her videos on YouTube.

And purchase Jody's music on iTunes.



3 comments:

  1. Wow this is one of the most interesting and different article I have ever see, really!
    I want to say that my favourite pop music type is western-style pop and also I want to tell you that this is not only my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very pleased with services offered by best party venue rentals. I reserved this location at the suggestion of my cousin and I really found it reasonably priced and finest of all.

    ReplyDelete