Poptastic Confessions

Poptastic Confessions

Thursday, December 3, 2020

Bananarama: Really Saying Something by Sara Dallin & Keren Woodward

Dear Poptastic Readers,

This is Davearama writing and I just finished reading Bananarama’s book: Really Saying Something: Our Story by Sara Dallin and Keren Woodward. It is the story of Bananarama, but it is also the story of Sara and Keren’s strong bond and lasting friendship. A must read for pop music fans.

 


It was interesting learning about how they grew up, as this wasn’t anything I really knew before. Sara and Keren first met when they were 4 years old. By the time they were in their early teens, they were best friends.

 

The book chronicles their journey from Bristol to London, and the poor conditions they lived in just to follow their dreams. They really are quite inspirational, and I think their story is an amazing journey.

 

We find out how they met Siobhan and eventually moved in with her as they started their group. We learned that they met Jacquie before starting Bananarama. We learn what it was like for them to be thrust into the limelight as their songs went up the charts. Fans already knew that Bananarama were always in charge of the career from writing their own songs to stylizing themselves. The book dives in deeper as we learn about the uphill struggles of being in a girl group in a male dominated industry.

 


I was a more-than-casual fan of Bananarama during the 1980s, although I was rather obsessed with Duran Duran back then. I bought their singles “Cruel Summer” in 1984 and “Venus” in 1986. When the next single after “Venus” came out called “More Than Physical”, I loved it and I immediately went out and bought their album True Confessions. However, I was completely bummed that no other song sounded like “Venus” and the album version of “More Than Physical” was slowed down and not the hi-nrg single version. I felt like I had been tricked. And in those days, I didn’t have a lot of money to spend. So I had to go out and buy the single of “More Than Physical.” 

 


In late 1987, the first single from their WOW! album was released. I bought the single for “I Heard A Rumour.” I didn’t buy the album right away. I didn’t want to be fooled again. I bought the next single, which in the US was “I Can’t Help It.” In March of 1988, we heard that Siobhan had left and there was a new girl named Jacquie. I immediately thought, well, I won’t like her. How wrong I was. I saw her photo in Smash Hits, and I quite liked her. We knew there was a new song coming with her called “I Want You Back”, but it wasn’t getting any airplay, because it wasn't released in the US.

 

This is not the official cover, but one that I mocked up to include Jacquie

Finally in May of 1988, the US got a new single in the form of “Love In The First Degree.” I went to buy the single and there was Siobhan's photo on it. The music video on MTV had Siobhan in it. Where was the new girl Jacquie? In the fall of 1988, Bananarama released The Greatest Hits Collection (with Siobhan on the cover, not Jacquie) with the new single “Love, Truth & Honesty.” Finally, Jacquie was on a cover. By this time, I was working and had more money so I bought both the single and the album. This is when I went bonkers for Bananarama! I immediately started buying their previous albums as well as 12" singles. I was now a true fan.

 


So knowing all of that, I was most excited to get to the chapters in the book with Jacquie. You see, when I went bonkers for Bananarama … she was in the group. Jacquie was only featured on one studio album: Pop Life from 1991. To this day, it is my favourite Bananarama album. With Drama from 2005 being a very close second. I was quite pleased to read the chapters with Jacquie, and both Sara and Keren said very nice things about her. Recently at an interview, Keren and Sara were asked what their proudest moment was, and they said the 1989 World Tour. Knowing that Jacquie was with them then, that made me smile.

 


I also quite enjoyed reading about 90s era and start of the duo years or as they like to call it: the wilderness years. I especially love their 1995 album Ultra Violet because it came out at such a wonderful time in my life. I never realized how much work Bananarama did and how exhausting it would be for them during their heyday. So it was interesting to read about their time out of the spotlight and both of them raising their children Tom and Alice.

 


It was sweet to read about their friendships with George Michael and with Keith Flint of The Prodigy. Reading about the reunion with Siobhan in 2017 for the Original Lineup Tour was also interesting. And finally to read about their last album in 2019 In Stereo

 


The book tells the story of Bananarama, but more importantly it is a story of Sara and Keren’s lifelong friendship, motherhood, and businesswomen. It is quite the inspirational story.


Davearama in college in 1991 holding his favorite album

For me and many other fans, especially the LGBTQ+ community, it is fair to say that Bananarama saved our lives. Not in the sense that I was ever suicidal. I wasn't. But Bananarama were there for me when I finally came out in my early 20s. Their music was there for me when I needed them the most. Their music has been there through the good times and the bad times. It wasn't until my 30s that I became really good friends with Bananarama fans from all over the world. My friendship with those fans are very special to me. It has been a wonderful part of my adult life. This is why I say Bananarama saved my life: they just helped make it richer, and fuller. My life is as good as a Bananarama song.


Bananarama with Davearama in Long Beach, California 2006


Go out and buy their memoir! You won’t be disappointed. We’ve added our Ultimate Bananarama Playlist here. Enjoy!~



Cheers then,

—Davearama


P.S. I'm in one of the photos in the book! I was their Sydney show in 2019! Haha!



P.S. Please follow Bananarama and Poptastic Confessions on social media!





 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Not a real book review but more of a My dear diary entry... Not really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello JFMontford! Sorry you didn't find the review helpful. All of the entries were in the blog are presented in a letter form to the readers, maybe that is why you thought of it as a diary entry. Anyway, we take that as a highest compliment because you put things dearest to you in your diary. Have a POPTASTIC day!

      Delete