Poptastic Confessions

Poptastic Confessions

Friday, November 29, 2019

Diamond by Francine Belle + Interview

Dear Poptastic Readers,

Paris-born British Nigerian singer, songwriter, and producer Francine Belle is back with her second solo single called "Diamond." It is a rather lush affair with soaring strings, afrobeats, and a beautiful melody. Francine delivers an emotional vocal performance. 
We had some questions for Francine Belle, and she kindly agreed to answer them ...



Hello Francine! Is Belle your middle name? If not, how did you decide that to be your stage name?

It's the first half of my mother's maiden name. I added an 'e' to turn it into the French word for 'beautiful.. It's a little homage to mum, my birthplace Paris, and the family I have in France. 


Your debut solo single "Beautiful Heights" was like something we had never heard before. We must have listened to it for a week before realizing it was acapella with afrobeats. Did you always know it would be an acapella song? 

I love that! I wanted the feeling to be the main draw of the song. Most fans are moved first before delving into the construction of the song, and the more they listen, the more they understand its production. At least that's my experience anyway (I have producer friends who literally do the opposite, but I think they're wired that way). I'm glad that there was that natural moment of discovery for you. 

Euphoria was what I felt when the song came to me in a dream, and I wanted to capture that somehow. I knew there would be a lot of voices. In my dream, the song was orchestral, with ethereal sounds and a choir I believe. I actually planned to get it produced. Vocal layering is how I produce a lot of my early demos. I mess around on guitar, but I can't play an instrument with enough technical skill for a recording, so I use my voice to emulate instruments. There are some demos of me making trumpet sounds or using my low register for the bassline for example. Hilarious — the lengths I'll go to to build a song. 

Beautiful Heights was one of those rare instances where the accapella demo actually stood up on its own though. The drums started out as handclaps. When I got those replaced, and it immediately felt bigger, I was like, hold on, this could be a vocal-based track. But I felt it needed more robustness. That's when I reached out to Ben Bram who added his arrangements and bass vocals and, let's just say, he knows what he's doing when it comes to accapella! It gradually became a fully realised piece and suddenly held its own beside all my other songs that had full instrumentation. I knew it would be a great one to release as an introduction to me, since it's so unique in that way. 


Photo by Fraser Taylor

Is it a normal songwriting process for you to get songs from dreams?

It's definitely the source of plenty of ideas. Some of them develop into full songs and others make their way into existing ideas. Some of my 'dream demos' have the most nonsensical lyrics when I listen back to them fully lucid. Like there was one about denim, which I haven't expanded upon yet! Maybe one day. 


Amazing! I have always appreciated you guys' support, which has been consistent through my entire musical journey, all the way up to this current release. Spaces like yours are so important when it comes to encouraging and inspiring independent artists. We appreciate you and your work very much! 

(Editor's note: Francine has been featured in other songs in Poptastic Confessions: "Love Stuck" in 2012 and "Crying On The Dancefloor" in 2014.)

Photo by Fraser Taylor

We are loving your new song "Diamond" and we think it is just absolutely beautiful. How would you describe it?

Thank you so much. I like to think of it as the two different sides to me. I thought about the duality of a diamond, how it's delicate and sparkling, but strong and forged in fire. I thought about the duality of love and how it should feel like that — fireworks with fortitude. 

And I thought of me, born and raised in Europe with African heritage and culture. The strings and the African percussion are like the two sides of me. And I like the way the blend together to make something wonderful. 
Both music videos of your solo songs have amazing visuals with lots of high fashion and costume changes. We watch your social media accounts so we know that you are very much behind the visuals. Can you share with us your inspirations there?

Ha! What gave me away?!! As an independent artist, you have to play to your strengths whenever you can. My influence is genuinely my own style. One day I plan to work with the top industry stylists, but right now, I do enjoy full stylistic control. I have a lot of fun with it. Honestly, it's something very intuitive for me. I love fashion and a lot of the time I will own an outfit for years, then when a song is done and I am thinking of the video, this garment that I've been subconsciously 'saving' will immediately spring to mind. 

Diamond was really great because I got to wear two of my brother's designs. Amechi Ihenacho is an amazing womenswear designer and couturier (I can confidently say that, even with my biases!). He designed and handmade both coats I wear in the video, and the inclusion of one-off pieces like that just elevated everything and helped me evolve the styling for myself and the other talent at the shoot. 

With both videos, I had the outfits figured out ahead of the full concept. It's a crucial part of the overall aesthetic for me.




What is in store for Francine Belle in 2020?

I'll perform a headline show in London, early in the year. Then release another single. Hopefully my album thereafter then an accompanying tour. Very excited about developing my live show. 

Photo by Fraser Taylor

Speaking of live shows, we saw that you performed with Bright Light Bright Light and Elton John. What were those like?

It was fantastic. Elton was very nice to everyone at the show — took the time to greet all of the musicians and shake our hands warmly. I remember he was wearing the most amazing diamond rings of many colours. Probably worth the cost of a house! 

Generally I really enjoy performing with Rod (Bright Light Bright Light). I did BVs on a few of his tours and his music is so fun and melodic. Unabashed pop is always great to sing. 

We really wish and hope the best for your music career. We are watching, and we are rooting for you and cheering you on! 

Thank you so much! It means a lot. 

"Diamond" was produced by Legend Otwenty and co-produced by Francine. The music video was directed by Qasim Alam and Francine. It is available on digital outlets everywhere. Buy your copy today to help support the artist. We've also added it to our 2019 Poptastic Confessions Playlist on Spotify. Enjoy!~



Cheers then,

—Davearama

P.S. Please follow Francine and Poptastic Confessions on social media ...


Francine Belle

Facebook
Instagram
Soundcloud
Twitter
YouTube
Francine's Official Website


Poptastic Confessions
Poptastic Confessions 8th Anniversary

Please like and share our links so that more people hear and buy the music!



No comments:

Post a Comment