Poptastic Confessions

Poptastic Confessions

Friday, October 9, 2015

Album Review: Aeronaut by Parralox

Dear Poptastic Readers,

It dawned on me while I was writing my review of Duran Duran's latest album Paper Gods, that I didn't actually write a review of one of my favorite synth-pop albums of 2015. And that would be the album Aeronaut by Parralox. 



Now as you remember, I interviewed John of Parralox earlier this year. I also became a proper fan of the group back at the end of last year thanks to "Crying On The Dancefloor." I'm not sure why I didn't review the album this spring. I remember waiting so I could give it a nice review, but I guess time got away from me.

***EDIT! The amazing track "Wildlife" was added after I bought my digital album. So, I have downloaded it and added it here. Also the track listing near the end changed ever so slightly.***

So better late than never! Here we go ... click on the song titles to hear them on YouTube!



The album opens with the title track: "Aeronaut." Click on the title to see what I wrote about it back in April. You will most definitely see this track appear in our year-end Top 20 countdown of the most POPtastic songs of 2015.



"Do You Feel What I Feel" is the second track and it is aimed right at the dancefloor! It clocks in at just over 8 minutes. It has a crowd sounds at the beginning and the end, making you feel like you might be hearing this a live show. It's a great song. I'd love to hear a radio edit! ~;-)



The next track on the album is "Solid State" and it is close to being my favorite song on the album. The verses have John rapping! But the chorus is infectious. The music is awesome, too. Have a listen and synthesize the beat!



"Companion" slows down the beat a bit. But not too much. Another great song commanding you to "Don't forget me." It really is wonderful.



"Mystery" is a brooding track with deep vocals by John. And it is a wonderful track with an amazing chorus. In fact, I just drove our 15-year-old son to school and it came on in the car and he was singing right along!



"Somebody II" picks up the pace again. Fun fact: Parralox already had recorded a cover of Depeche Mode's "Somebody" on their covers album Recovery. So this song got the "II" in the title. There was some talk about this being the second single. 



"Together" is so amazing! The bridge is my favorite bit. The keyboards are a bit "house" and it is awesome.



"Atmosphere" ... could it be trance or techno? No matter! It's awesome!



"Wrong or Right" is a dark, brooding track. John's vocals are really nice here.

;
"Widelife" is an AMAZING track and it was added to the album after the initial release. I think this might be my favorite song on the album. I just love it so!



"Miranda" is a haunting track. And the best part comes at the end ... so don't stop the song early!


"Zero" is an instrumental track that takes a bit of time to get going. It also clocks in at over 8 minutes.

Again, this is really a wonderful electropop/synth-pop album! Even though it came out this spring, it isn't too late to go out and enjoy one of the year's best albums! You will love it!

The Aeronaut album is available on digital outlets everywhere. If you'd like a physical copy, head over to Parralox's website for more information.

Remember to "like" Parralox's Facebook page for all of the latest news.

Cheers then,
—Davearama

No comments:

Post a Comment